JUNE 4, 2020 – HOW TO ZOOM (FREE VIRTUAL EVENT)
JUNE 18, 2020 - ONE-ON-ONE W/SACC-USA PRESIDENT, JOHAN MARCUS (MEMBERS-ONLY)
This members-only event featured a virtual conversation with Johan Marcus, President of SACC-USA that was absolutely fabulous! The intimate discussion included, among other things, the following key topics:
- How SACC-USA (and other chambers) are responding/continuing to operate during the COVID-19 situation
- Strategies for bringing Swedish businesses to the United States
- SACC-USA plans for the remainder of 2020
JANUARY 2020 – ANNUAL MEETING (ANNUAL EVENT)
Our 2020 Annual Meeting featured keynote speaker, Mindy McLaughlin, Senior Director-International Business at Team NEO. Team NEO is the leading regional economic development organization in Northeast Ohio. Team NEO works with global companies who are seeking to expand their operations in the United States. Mindy provided an overview of some of Team NEO’s efforts to create jobs in the region and opportunities to work together on projects of common interests between SACC-Ohio and Team NEO. The keynote speaker for our 2019 Annual Meeting was Björn Arvidsson, Minister Counselor, Head of Trade and Economic Affairs at the Embassy of Sweden.
DECEMBER 2019 – INTERNATIONAL CHAMBERS’ HOLIDAY LUNCHEON (ANNUAL EVENT)
The Joint International Bilateral Chambers sponsor this fabulous annual event, which is widely regarded as the premier holiday international event in Cleveland. The venue has been the lovely Windows on the River at the Nautica complex in downtown Cleveland. The keynote address for this event, “Bringing a Global Spin to Public Broadcasting,” was given by David C. Barnett of Ideastream. In 2019, the keynote address, “Revitalizing Cleveland’s Lakefront,” was presented by Richard Pace of Cumberland Development.
OCTOBER 2019 – AN ART EXPERIENCE: COLOR AND COMFORT – SWEDISH MODERN DESIGN
The evening began at the Cleveland Museum of Art where we learned all about this wonderful exhibit from Mr. Stephen Harrison, Curator of Decorative Art and Design for the Cleveland Museum of Art (the exhibit ran from February 17, 2019 through February 9, 2020). After viewing the art exhibit, the evening transitioned to L'Albatros Bar, which was reserved especially for SACC-Ohio, for cocktail hour where we enjoyed appetizers, cocktails, and a lively discussion about this beautiful exhibit and the information shared by Mr. Harrison.
AUGUST 2019 – KRÄFTSKIVA (CRAYFISH) PARTY (ANNUAL EVENT)
This is an annual event which, unfortunately, was cancelled in 2020 due to COVID-19. SACC-Ohio and the Swedish Cultural Society of Cleveland partner to bring members and guests the experience of a traditional Swedish Crayfish Party. The highlight of the annual SACC-Ohio event calendar, Kräftskiva is a seafood celebration with lots of side dishes, cheerful songs and toasts. Crayfish parties are typically held during August in recognition of the ban, which was repealed in 1994, on fishing for crustaceans between November 1 and the first Wednesday in August.
CLEVELAND INTERNATIONAL FILM FESTIVAL (ANNUAL EVENT)
Each year, SACC-Ohio sponsors a film for CIFF, which was taken virtual in 2020 as a result of COVID-19. In 2020, SACC-Ohio sponsored the film, The County. In 2019, SACC-Ohio sponsored the film, A Fortunate Man.
OTHER NOTABLE EVENTS
- TOUR “IN THE CLOUD” AT EXPEDIENT – SACC-Ohio field trip to Expedient's Data Center in Cleveland where we toured "the Cloud!"
- CYBERSECURITY – Keynote address given by Mick Douglas, Binary Defense Systems
- 90TH ANNIVERSARY OF THE SWEDISH CULTURAL SOCIETY – 90th Anniversary of the Cleveland Swedish Cultural Society and honoring Michael L. Miller (click here to see photos).
- INTERNATIONAL TRADE MARITIME AND LOGISTICS REVIEW – Keynote address given by David S. Gutheil, Vice President for Maritime and Logistics at the Cleveland Port Authority.
- THE AT&F STORY – Keynote address given by Michael Forde Ripich, President and CEO of AT&F, a fourth generation Swedish steel company in Cleveland, Ohio. AT&F is a global producer of components for large-scale construction and mining equipment, fabrication for shipbuilding and defense, power plant components, specialty stainless steel and alloy process equipment to the serve chemical industry and alternative fuel producers.